Tuesday, November 11, 2008

If you're not living, then you are dying

I remember something I learned in high school Anatomy and Physiology (one of my favorite classes ever).... Simultaneously, we are all living/growing and dying. While we are young, we are living/growing at a much faster rate then we are dying, we kind of even out in the middle, and then at the end of our lives we are dying at a faster rate than we are living/growing.

Maybe a slightly morbid thought- but I don't really think so.

I think the most morbid thing, is to be in the living stage- but not really live. I think that saddest thing is to simply exist. To simply live, and not to thrive. That is scary for me. To be dying while living- that is much scarier.

So recently I bought a book- 2001 things to do before you die (or I like to call it my how to really live book.) And it always cheers me up to read it, because I've actually done quite a bit for my mere 24 years.

For example (as suggested in the book) I've:
-organized a food drive
-flirted
-mastered the art of letter writing (or so I like to think)
-stayed in bed all day
-given someone a reason to believe in God (hopefully)
-done something scandalous
-built a tree house
-decoupage a table
-wrote a letter to the editor
-spent one month without a TV
-spent a day in the nursing home
-cleaned out my closet and donated to the needy
-donated books
-read Atlas Shrugged
-read to children
-spent a day with a toddler
-found a long, straight road and saw how fast I could go (I don't suggest this)
-fossil-hunted
-dried some flowers
-gone on a silent retreat
-traveled alone
-learned to sew
-gone paintballing
-skinny dip
-go on an unplanned trip
-caught fireflies
-swim with dolphins
-made my own icecream
-done cartwheels for no reason
-rolled my own sushi
-walked on the beach in the winter
-left my umbrella and took a walk in the rain
-gone someplace where I saw a moose and a bear
-talked a cop out of a ticket (more like cried out of one)
-vote
-dyed my hair
-swallowed my pride
-line danced
-write a haiku
-talked to my grandparents about their childhoods
-sung the Hallelujah chorus in the shower
-change jobs
-mended fences
-played Hamlet (yes, I have)
-run through sprinklers with my clothes on
-harmonized
-started a conversation with a stranger
-written thank you notes when it wasn't required
-carried someone else's burden
-thrown a surprise party
-finger paint
-caught a snowflake on my tounge
-seen a rode0
-cut off a bad relationship
-had a really great foot massage
-moved
-given a friend a copy of my favorite book
-eaten salt water taffy
-sung Christmas carols in August
-climbed a tree
-hang a spoon from my nose
-write a personal note on Chrismtas cards
-had a cookout that ended with s'mores
-enjoyed a moment without expecting it to last
-taken the Meyer's Briggs
-roll down a small hill
-made soup from scratch
-picked a lock
-pulled an all nighter
-win a game of Trivial Pursuit
-ordered from the kids menu
-shopped from a farmers market
-coached little league
-been a godparent
-skipped rocks
-worn two different shoes
-found out if blondes do have more fun (they don't)
-gone down in a submarine
-sat in an empty church and sang
-visited an ice cream truck
-made my own recipe for chili
-attended an outdoor blue grass festival
-finished a game of Risk
-mamboed
-left cookies and milk for Santa
-read banned books
-been a write in on a ballot (thank you TTU bio department!)


Apparently, I'm living. And I plan on continuing the trend....

No comments: