Friday, December 11, 2009

Jesus was born into a family.
I know- not the normal Advent slogan, but that's what I keep coming up with this year.
Jesus Christ, Savior of All, the I AM, was born into a family.
I can't exactly put my finger on what is so profound about that for me, but its resonating within me. I think, perhaps, it may have something to do with my deep need for community.
The fact that Jesus came to be inside of a family unit speaks depths into each of our needs for community. For if Jesus Christ, Son of God, needed a family, then surely each of us do too.
I think the fact that the Savior was not exempt from the beautifully complicated relationships that one has with parents and siblings says something about the deep needs in each of our lives for genuine relationships. Who knows you better than your parents? Your siblings? No one.
They are the people who have seen you at your best and at your worst.
They know you intimately.

And I think we all need that. No one is exempt from the need of community.
There is something within each of us that cries out to others- a deep calling to deep.
Sometimes after one has experienced a broken relationship or a failed community, they try and close this place off. They build walls and defenses around it. But that doesn't stop that place from being there. And eventually that need for others will break through all the barriers and walls and show itself.
So Jesus Christ was born into a family.
So this Christmas season, I'm letting it remind me that we all need somebody.
We all need family.
We all need community.
We all need a place to know, and to be known.
That its not a weakness when I need a shoulder to lean on or a friend to hold onto to.
That there is no shame in simply needing time and space to commune with my family.
That the most natural thing in the world is our need to have genuine relationships with others.
The need for community is a trademark of humanity.
The yearning for family and relationships is a basic instinct.
We all have moments where we need to be reminded that we are not alone.
Especially at Christmas.

No comments: