Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Notice Me!

I went to the youth building yesterday in search of caffine.
But what I found was a white napkin taped to the door of the refrigerator with a note on it written in blue marker. The note said:

"I bet no one even notices me."

At first I smiled, because I'm pretty sure I know the person behind the note.
But I kept thinking about it. It was like a one of those headaches that aren't strong enough to really hurt, but are just present enough to nag you.

I decided its because people are all the doing things just to see if someone notices. And I wonder, how many people actually notice?

Recently, our town has grieved its way through a string of teenage suicides. I think these were last ditch, tragic efforts of kids to get people to notice what they were going through.

But we need to notice people before things get that tragic.

People tape figurative notes to themselves every day. In can be in the shape of words spoken, things gone unspoken, through cloths worn, piercings gotten, hair color, tattoes.

Are we noticing? Do we see the people right in front of our faces?
Are we noticing the people who desperately need us to notice them?

1 comment:

Ed said...

Kelly
There are so many people who pass through out lives as people and our doors as churches that do not get noticed. They are crying out for attention and for someone to take the time to understand them.

You wise enough to see behind the napkin to the greater truth of the human condition.

The next step is to take action to improve that human condition where you can.