Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit...."
-Stephen Hawking
Too often I forget that life is not about the here and now. I get caught up in work, school or lack thereof, relationships, etc and I forget that in the end it really doesn't matter. I get caught up in work. I get frustrated, out of whack, and cranky when work goes bad. I have a tendency to let work define me because I forget that there is more to life than work. I stress about school, grades, and whether I'm going to pursue another degree or not. I base my self esteem on what my grades are. I get caught up in relationships- ones that go well, ones that go bad, and the ones that cease to exist. I let these determine my mood and how I feel about myself on a given particular day.
Why do I let such circumstancial things determine me? Why do I get caught up in things that change from moment to moment, day to day instead of remembering that there are more things in heaven and earth.
I forget that this is not permanent. This is not eternal. That this earth will end. That life is about much more than grades, salary, size, home. That faith, hope, love. Those are the things that in the end will matter. That will last. That will follow us long past our mortal lives.
I just have a tendencey to forget that.

1 comment:

Ed said...

All of these thing happen because you are human. Working through the frustrations and self doubts are part of a growth process.

Wesley spoke of moving towards perfection in a relationship with God. Overcoming these issues day by day is part of the process of moving on...........