Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I've never cared for stop signs...

I have the world's worst habit of absolutely just ignoring stop signs...For some reason those great little red octagonal signs with 4 white letters on them have never done anything to slow me down or stop me.... Ihave the slightest tendency just to breeze right by them... I think part of the problem is that I hate having to slow down when I have a destination in mind and idle while I wait for my turn to go or watch other people go on through the intersection while I have to sit there and wait paitently for the right time to go... it irks me. And sometimes I just block out the fact that the stop sign is there and go through anyway. And this has always gotten me in quite a bit of trouble...(and can be fairly dangerous)

Sometimes I feel like this is an excellent parallel for my life right now. I am approaching one of those great intersections of life where the direction/choices I chooose will irrevocably effect the ultimate direction of my life. And I have absolutely no idea which street to turn down. I mean I know I want to keep driving and I am comfortable in the car I am now...but I'm not sure which road to take to get me to where I want to go...actually it would be safe to say that I might not actually know where I am going to end up (well someday heaven, but there is [hopefully] quite a bit of traveling to be done between now and then)... So its hard for me to know which road to take...

I think part of me knows that its inevitable that as I approach this intersection that I am going to find myself confronted with a stop sign. In my heart, I know I am being told to stop and spend some time in the "idle" stage and patiently wait until a path becomes clear...

But like I mentioned before....I've never been very good with stop signs. And right now- as I am review the possible roads which I can turn down- my heart is actually holding pretty steady in neutral. So far nothing has made me wonder what that particular road would look like a little further down it.... And I know I can't stay on the road I am currently on.

So I guess my only choice is to sit at the stop sign and wait for my cue to move. Because I know the trouble that can happen when you run through stop signs and the danger it can bring.


"Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him..." Psalm 37.7

2 comments:

Ed said...

Kelly
Stop signs are only suggestions anyway
Ed

h said...

great blog!