Thursday, April 24, 2008

The rest of DC





The rest of the week in DC was great. Monday we did more museums and Union Station. Then that night I met up with Emily and Emilee for dinner and good old fashioned girl talk. Then Tuesday we met with Senators from TN and toured the capital. Had a great conversation with a Lt. General who used to live in Crossville. Such a cool guy. Then toured the monuments, Arlington Cemetary, and walked around the White House. Hung out at Georgetown. Basically saw all that we could see. Enjoyed every second of it.


Although, seeing all the memorials and Arlington always produces some lingering sadness. It seems that we will never learn. The human race is capable of such much hurt and we just continue to inflict it upon each other. How can people capable of so much love and goodness, continually in situations with so much death attached to it?

Then again maybe we are learning. We went past the Holocaust museum and they are using this museum as a tool to raise awareness for the situation in Darfur. So its possible that maybe we are learning from our past mistakes and growing from them. That we see what price was paid in the past and are starting to strive to make sure that it never has to be paid at that high a level again.


I think that I just realized how important to me it is to make sure that I can see my sister grow up and my children be raised in a world where there won't be a need for a memoral for thousands of people or a wall with name after name after name of people who paid the ultimate price for that freedom.
Of course, I realize that what I want is the kingdom of God upon earth. And if I'm not working to make that happen more fully, I am only keeping it from happening.




No comments: