Thursday, November 12, 2009

The sermon on Sunday was based on scripture in Luke on the Widow's Offering. When she gave all she had which was not much, and Jesus commented on how much she was giving because she gave out of her poverty while other people gave out of her wealth.

I heard the sermon (twice actually) but I heard it in the way that you hear the news as you are getting ready in the morning. You are aware that someone is talking, but you aren't necessarily digesting any of the information.

But later in this week, I've gone back to it. Re-read the scripture. Tried to remember what was said in the sermon. And in my life right now (although the poverty thing I can totally relate to) I don't think that this story is about money for me.

Right now, I'm drained. I'm tired. Worn out. Burnt out. I have very little left to give emotionally. And since I'm not perfect, I'm willing to admit that I've felt a slight bit resentful when people have needed emotional support lately. I can usually squash those sneaky little selfish thoughts down, but still the moments they are there I do feel them.

But maybe, like the widow, when I give out of my poverty- emotional or financial- that means more. Maybe it means so much more when I give support, encouragement, comfort, or whatever when I am empty and dry myself, it makes what I give mean so much more.

No comments: