Friday, November 27, 2009

Stop right there, that’s exactly where I lost it. See that line, I never should have crossed it.”- Relient K

How many of us really realize exactly where our lives went out of control? Or maybe not even out of control, but just off track? Or maybe even not off track… Life might be right on track and you still might feel like you’ve lost it. Or unsatisfied with life. Or that you have missed the point of it all. Life doesn’t have to awful to be not what you want.
Life can be everything that anyone could ever want it to be, but still not what YOU want it to be. However, we all get caught up in the idea that there is a way our life should look and if it looks that way, we should be satisfied. (OR there is a way you life shouldn’t look and as long as your life doesn’t look like that, then you are ok).
I guess what I’m trying to say is that you can wake up, have no major worries, be able to sit in the sunshine enjoying that first cup of morning coffee, and still be slightly dissatisfied. There is more to life than a job. There is more to life than a house. There is more to life than pretty days, even if they are worry free.
Life is more than having it all together and having all the foundational stuff in place. I can have a job that is stable and that loves me and that I rock at, but if when I go home at night I sit in an empty house if I hate my life at that point- then that’s a problem. I am more than my job, my degrees, and my chosen career path. I’d rather be the culmination of the time spent with people I love, dinners shared in a house of laughter, and having someone to talk to at the end of the day.
Yes I want to be good at my job. Yes I want to matter and make a difference with the work I do. But I’d much rather be a good person, a good friend, a good daughter or sister. I’d much rather make a difference by sharing my life with people I love than the people I’m paid to know (that sounds meaner than I mean it).
I love my job. I love how I get to work, where I work , the people I work with. But at the end of the day, I’d rather love my life.

No comments: